Geology week 1
My name is Amy Kremin and I live in Northern Idaho, just below Canada, in a little town, on a little lake. I am a Professional Studies major with a TESOL minor and a cluster in Physical Sciences/Mathematics.
I am so excited to be in this class!
I hope to learn about geology, in any form. I have a new found passion in geology, and absolutely love it all. There is SO much to learn!! One thing I would love to learn is how to recognize rocks and minerals while "out and about" on a hike. This would make me look like a pretty cool mama :) to my kiddos! Here are a couple pictures from a snow shoe hike with my kids yesterday. I love all things outdoors - hiking, running, biking, snow-skiing, wake-surfing, gardening, beekeeping, kayaking.
I see geology in my everyday local life :) When I look out the window to our little lake (behind my kids).... it was formed by ancient glacial moraine deposits. It is incredible to me that the rocks I pick up around the lake were here when the dinosaurs roamed. I wish rocks could talk! What stories they would have to tell. A neighbor of ours is a retired research geologist and he said there are precambrian rocks across the lake. WOW! He has a fun past, of field and research work, here in our neck of the Northwest woods. He discovered and mapped multiple mineral resources. When I look out the airplane I totally wonder how the land formed. My favorite thing to watch is the series "How the Earth Was Made." When it is my turn to pick the movie for a family movie night, my kids say, "Mom's just gonna pick another science documentary about how the earth was made!" :) And I do. Plate tectonics fascinate me and connects our ever-regenerating planet with its divine mission; a planet that won't die, but will become the Celestial Kingdom. I see plate tectonics at play locally. I remember the day Mt. St. Helens erupted. We have a jar of ash my husband scooped from his front yard, just 30 minutes from where we live now. Plate tectonics formed the mountain that brought the ash all this way. Amazing. I didn't know anything about the geologic processes then. Can't wait to learn more with you all in this course!


Comments
Post a Comment